The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join Our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a full-time Eligibility Billing Specialist located in our Finance Department in Tarrytown, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
The Eligibility Billing Specialist is part of a team within the Finance Department which is responsible for verifying eligibility of client insurance coverage and updating client insurance profile. Monthly client statements, processing client payments and assisting Billing Department with follow-ups is an essential part of this job opportunity. The Specialist will also be responsible to work with a person-centered, trauma informed philosophy in alignment with the values of MHA.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for verifying patient insurance coverage.
2. Ensure necessary services are covered by a client’s insurance carrier.
3. Responsible for entering and updating patient benefit information in the organization’s insurance system and verify that existing information is accurate.
4. Answers questions from clients, clerical staff and insurance companies.
5. Process client payments.
6. Process credit card payments that are received from insurance companies.
7. Maintains strictest confidentiality; adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
8. Maintain clear, cohesive notes and filing system.
9. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Extensive knowledge of ICD and CPT codes.
2. Hands-on experience with EMR, EDI and ERA posting.
3. Familiar with commercial insurances, MCOs, Medicaid and Medicare.
4. Knowledge of behavioral health terminology.
5. Functional knowledge of insurance companies and claims information.
6. Great attention to detail.
7. Excellent negotiation and critical thinking acumen.
8. Proficient in Microsoft Office and medical billing software.
9. Proven ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
10. Excellent knowledge of legality and ethics of the medical field.
11. Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively.
12. Professional phone demeanor.
1. The Eligibility Billing Specialist must have 2 years of experience in medical billing.
2. The Specialist must have a High School Diploma/GED/TASC.
3. Proficient with computer applications including Microsoft Office and Excel.
4. The Specialist must be accurate, organized, demonstrate excellent follow up and attention to detail.
5. The Specialist must be a highly motivated independent worker who maintains confidentiality at all times.
6. Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively.
7. Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team; offers to assist coworkers when needed.
8. Consistently displays a positive attitude towards one’s work and work environment.
9. The Specialist must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
10. The Specialist must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
11. The Specialist must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with " Eligibility Billing Specialist" as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.