The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, and shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a part-time Healthcare Specialist in our Care Management Program in Tarrytown, NY office. The position is 21 hours per week.
SUMMARY of DUTIES:
Our Care Management Program helps individuals obtain the services they need, which may include seeing medical specialists, successfully transitioning from an inpatient hospital admission to another setting, and obtaining social supports such as housing. The Healthcare Specialist will support the work of our care managers by helping to coordinate a person’s needs including medical, behavioral health, substance abuse, and social services. The Healthcare Specialist will be particularly involved in clients health and behavioral care at times of transitions (hospitalizations, ED visit, etc.), and when addressing gaps in care. The Healthcare specialist with have frequent communication with medical and behavioral healthcare providers and managed care organizations in order to address the needs of the clients. The Healthcare Specialist may provide direct client care services in the community and/or telephonic direct service work. The Healthcare Specialist will support recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaboration. When possible he/she will utilize evidence based practices; always embracing a trauma-informed and person-centered approach.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide comprehensive care management, care coordination and health promotion, transitional care from higher level of care settings, individual and family support, and referrals to community services if relevant.
2. Participate in meetings with service providers.
3. Follow the established agency policies and maintain appropriate professional standards.
4. Prepare daily and monthly reports required by the health home and other internal reports as requested by the Senior Program Director.
5. Complete all required documentation including, but not limited to progress notes, health home assessments (particularly Transitions of Care Assessments), and update integrated shared care plans.
6. Due to the nature of the program, ability to be flexible with working hours is desired.
7. Provide crises intervention as needed.
8. Complete face-to-face contacts and telephonic care management services based on the individual’s needs.
9. Adhere to all standards and guidelines established by applicable regulatory authorities.
10. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
1. Knowledge of behavioral diagnoses and symptomatology.
2. Working familiarity with community resources, including entitlement programs, medical, financial and legal services, housing and emergency food programs, and behavioral health treatment and rehabilitation services.
3. Must be able to effectively engage clients.
4. Must have a good understanding of issues related to chronic disease/behavioral health interactions.
5. Must be able to perform duties in an independent and efficient manner.
6. Familiarity with and ability to use an Electronic Health Record system.
7. The Healthcare Specialist is expected to practice in a recovery oriented, person–centered methodology.
• A bachelor’s degree featuring a major or concentration in social work, psychology, nursing, rehabilitation, education, occupational therapy, physical therapy, recreation or recreation therapy, counseling, community mental health, child and family studies, sociology, speech and hearing or other human services field;
• or NYS licensure and registration as a Registered Nurse and a bachelor’s degree;
• or a Bachelor’s level education or higher in any field with two years of experience working directly with persons with behavioral health diagnoses.
One year of experience
• In providing direct services to people with Serious Mental Illness, developmental disabilities, or alcoholism or substance abuse, or chronic medical conditions.
1. Basic Computer knowledge is required.
2. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
3. The Healthcare Specialist must have a valid Driver’s License and a driving record that is satisfactory to our insurance carrier.
4. The Healthcare Specialist must maintain current New York State Defensive Driving certification.
5. The Healthcare Specialist must be cleared by the NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
6. The Healthcare Specialist must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
7. The Healthcare Specialist must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Healthcare Specialist" as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.