The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a Human Resources Administrative Assistant located in Tarrytown, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
The Human Resources Administrative Assistant (HRAA) has a key role within the Human Resources Administration (HRA). The HRAA assists the HRA with varied HR functions. In general, this position carries out administrative assistant responsibilities in the following functional areas: payroll/benefits administration, employee relations, training, performance management, employee wellness initiatives, onboarding, HR policy and procedures interpretation, recruitment/employment, and HR compliance.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participate in employee recruitment and onboarding.
2. Schedule new hires for fingerprinting and perform other employee background checks.
3. Call and confirm applicants for upcoming new hire orientation.
a. Prepare all documents for orientation such as sign-in sheets, orientation packets, and agenda.
b. Assist in communicating with internal new hire orientation presenters before, during and after orientation.
c. Administer onboarding orientation survey and compile responses for analysis.
d. Assist with updating the recruitment board.
4. Employee file set up and maintain document filing.
a. Assists with internal and external audits.
5. Assisting with tracking employee trainings, auditing payroll, electronic timecards and benefit administration.
6. Data entry of new hire information and employee changes into the ADP HRIS system. Prepares reports, as requested.
7. Maintains files of applicants and prepares responses for applicants not selected.
8. Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
9. Order supplies for the department.
10. Assists in organizing agency events and other wellness initiatives.
11. Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment, payroll, and benefits laws and regulations.
12. Maintains a solid understanding of agency policies and handles certain issues independently.
13. Performs other administrative assistant duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Basic understanding of HR functions, compliance, and HR regulations.
2. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in all HR functions including but not limited to payroll, benefits, and employee issues.
3. Outstanding interpersonal skills; including, displaying patience and helpfulness at all times.
4. Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
5. Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills: accuracy is essential.
6. Problem solving skills.
1. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant will have a high school diploma or GED/TASC and one year of HR and/or administrative assistant experience.
2. Ability and flexibility to work in a distributed workforce.
3. Must be able to prioritize a variety of time-sensitive tasks.
4. Must have excellent judgment; independent thinker and resourceful.
5. Highest degree of integrity, professionalism, diplomacy and discretion required.
6. Must be reliable, able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
7. Team player with a positive attitude.
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
9. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant must have computer skills in Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, and PowerPoint and data base management.
10. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant must adhere to the agency’s policy, procedures and professional code of ethics.
11. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant must follow all applicable laws, HR principles and practices.
12. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
13. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
14. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
15. The Human Resources Administrative Assistant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with “HR Admin Assistant” as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.