The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join Our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a Junior Accountant in our Tarrytown, NY office.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
The Junior Accountant is part of a team within the Finance Department, which is responsible for the financial management of the agency. The Junior Accountant will work with a person-centered, trauma informed philosophy in alignment with the values of MHA.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for all accounts payable transactions including processing of checks.
2. Calculate expense allocations.
3. Maintain fixed assets and calculate depreciation.
4. Preparation of journals entries as needed.
5. Prepare prepaid schedules and amortization.
6. Monthly analysis and reconciliation of general ledger accounts.
7. Reconciliation of the agency’s bank accounts.
8. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. The Junior Accountant must have proficient knowledge in the area of non-profit accounting.
2. The Junior Accountant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities.
3. The Junior Accountant must pay attention to detail and maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality.
4. The Junior Accountant must be able to prioritize assignments, exhibit thoroughness, and deliver quality work.
1. The Junior Accountant will have a bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting.
2. A minimum of 2 years prior work experience is preferred.
3. Computer experience and expertise is necessary. Strong Excel skills a must.
4. The Junior Accountant must be highly motivated, have the ability to work independently and as a team member.
5. Accuracy and organizational skills must be demonstrated.
6. Analytical skills, experience and good judgment in making decisions relative to finance.
7. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
8. The Junior Accountant must adhere to the agency’s policy, procedures and professional code of ethics.
9. The Junior Accountant must follow all applicable laws, financial principles and practices.
10. The Junior Accountant must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
11. The Junior Accountant must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
12. The Junior Accountant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with "Jr. Accountant" as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.