The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join Our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a part-time (10 hours per week) Kitchen Assistant at our Sterling Community Center in White Plains, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
Peer-professionally run and recovery-oriented, the Sterling Community Center (SCC) in White Plains offers an array of classes, volunteer work, evening and weekend social activities and one-on-one assistance for adults who have been diagnosed with behavioral health conditions. At SCC, New York State residents 18 years and older can find mutual support as they work toward personal goals by learning new skills, developing social networks, making connections in their larger communities, and developing opportunities for paid employment. The Kitchen Assistant assists in the cleaning and maintenance of kitchen facilities, and in the preparation and serving of food in SCC’s café. The Kitchen Assistant will work with a person-centered, trauma informed philosophy in alignment with the values of MHA.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists in maintaining the cleanliness of the kitchen and café areas and equipment.
2. Assists in the preparation of meals for participants.
3. Assists in the planning and writing of menus.
4. Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Experienced working in a foodservice environment.
2. Knowledge to maintain a clean kitchen and work area.
3. Knowledge to assist in safely preparing food.
4. Experienced in performing preventative and general maintenance on kitchen equipment.
1. The Kitchen Assistant must have a High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. The Kitchen Assistant must have excellent interpersonal skills and a kind, caring approach to SCC participants.
3. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
4. The Kitchen Assistant must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
5. The Kitchen Assistant must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
6. The Kitchen Assistant must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
7. The Kitchen Assistant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with “Kitchen Assistant” as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.