The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a Medical Assistant in our White Plains, NY clinic.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
Our Clinics offer individual, group, family, and medication services, including telehealth, for a full range of behavioral health conditions for individuals of all ages. The Medical Assistant will work closely with other members of the clinic team to perform a variety of back-office and client-related activities to ensure operational workflows are supported. This position performs a variety of client care procedures within the Medical Assistant (MA) scope of practice, which may include not limited to: measuring vital signs (weight, height, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and temperature), and managing patient flow. Also, assistance with scheduling for Psychiatrists and Nurse Practitioners, including pre-visit preparation, assisting with the patient visit, and post-visit duties. The medical assistant also serves as liaison to the telehealth providers, ensuring that necessary lab and vital information are completed in the Electronic Health Record before the appointment. Medical Assistants must adhere to the NYS Medical Assistant scope of practice.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide on-site support to telehealth providers, including setting up the connection, providing relevant clinical information before the session, obtaining vital signs and providing client support as needed.
2. Assist with front office activities and scheduling tasks to optimize scheduling for medical providers.
3. Coordinate care for medical issues, including providing referrals to community providers, scheduling appointments, and liaising with medical providers to obtain records.
4. Obtain lab results when clients have labs drawn by outside providers, and ensure incorporation into the medical record, alerting medical staff of availability for review.
5. Complete all required documentation, on time, and accurately.
6. Collaborates and communicates with the health care team.
7. Attends mandatory in-services.
8. Attends staff meetings as required/requested.
9. Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned including respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergencies; communicates concerns/ problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor.
10. Responsible for adhering to all standards and guidelines established by applicable regulatory authorities.
11. Follow the established agency policies and maintaining appropriate professional standards.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Highly organized and self-motivated.
2. Medical terminology.
3. Ability to master various forms of technology required for the position.
4. Excellent customer service skills.
5. Ability to obtain and record vital signs accurately.
6. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
1. High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) required.
2. Successful completion of a six-month (6) to one (1) year course in Medical Assisting at an accredited school required.
3. Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), preferred.
4. Basic medical terminology, Electronic Scheduling, and Electronic Medical Record experience preferred.
5. Have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
6. Work independently, complete tasks and all required paperwork in a timely and complete manner.
7. Must have excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, PowerPoint and data base management.
8. Have and maintain a valid Driver’s License with a driving record that is satisfactory to our insurance carrier, have and maintain a Defensive Driving certification.
9. The Medical Assistant must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
10. The Medical Assistant must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
11.The Medical Assistant must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
12. The Medical Assistant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “MA-WP” as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.