The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for an Outreach and Engagement Specialist in our Yonkers Clinic in Yonkers, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
Our Clinics offer individual, group, family and medication services for individuals of all ages – and for a full range of behavioral health conditions. The Specialist is responsible for engaging, de-escalating and triaging all unscheduled customers seeking assistance for behavioral health related issues with the emphasis on averting unnecessary hospital/ER visits. The Specialist will support recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaboration. When possible he/she will utilize evidence-based practices; always embracing a trauma-informed and person-centered approach.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Engage new referrals.
2. De-escalate, address needs as possible and triage during an urgent care, walk-in service.
3. The Specialist outreaches and engages all no-shows as directed by clinic staff.
4. Connect client to community resources as needed.
5. Document all interventions and relevant information according to MHA guidelines, OMH regulations, accrediting bodies and payer requirements.
6. Provide case management and other ancillary services to clinic clients.
7. Represent clinic at network and community meetings in order to promote services available.
8. Performs other duties as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Familiarity with and ability to use an Electronic Health Record system.
2. The Specialist must be reliable and responsible, demonstrating the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
3. Applicable city, state and federal guidelines and laws affecting mental health treatment, services and reporting procedures.
4. Community mental health resources and services and other health, financial, social, recreational cultural, housing and legal advocacy services.
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent required, bachelor’s degree greatly preferred.
2. The Specialist must have a minimum of two years’ experience working in mental health setting.
3. Prior experience as a recipient of mental health services and the willingness to share lived experience is valued.
4. Excellent engagement and active listening skills are a must.
5. Requires experience in crisis management.
6. Must have ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
7. Basic computer skills in Microsoft office, spreadsheets and data base management are required.
8. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
9. The Specialist must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
10. The Specialist must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
11. The Specialist must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Outreach and Engagement” as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.