The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve their goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work.
Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services. MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of individuals and families each year.
Join our Team! We are immediately hiring a Payroll and HR Specialist in Human Resources Department located in Tarrytown, NY. Base Annual Salary Range: $50,000 to $55,000.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
The Payroll and HR Specialist has a key role within the Human Resources Administration. The Specialist will perform administrative duties related to the operations of the human resource office and manage a bi-weekly payroll for 150 employees. In general, this position carries out support responsibilities in the following functional areas: payroll/benefits administration, employee relations, training, performance management, onboarding, HR policy and procedures interpretation, recruitment/employment, and HR compliance.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participate in employee onboarding.
2. Schedule new hires for fingerprinting and perform other employee background checks.
3. Assists with calling and confirming applicants for upcoming new hire orientation.
a. Prepare documents for orientation such as sign-in sheets, orientation packets, and agenda.
b. Assist in communicating with internal new hire orientation presenters before, during and after orientation.
c. Administer onboarding orientation survey and compile response for analyzation.
4. Employee file set up and maintain document filing.
a. Assists with internal and external audits.
5. Process and supervise the payroll functions of the organization, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
6. Data entry of new hire information and employee changes into the HRIS and payroll system. Prepares reports, as requested.
7. Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing and accounting systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
8. Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
9. Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
10. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
11. Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
12. Maintains a solid understanding of agency policies and handles certain issues independently.
13. Order supplies for the department.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Working knowledge of HR and payroll functions, compliance, and HR regulations.
2. Demonstrated practical working experience with Ultipro/UKG and ADP payroll systems.
3. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in all HR functions including but not limited to payroll, benefits, and employee issues.
4. Must have excellent judgment; independent thinker and resourceful.
5. Must be reliable, able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
6. Must have and maintain the highest degree of integrity, professionalism, diplomacy and discretion required.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
8. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
9. Ability to analyze data to check for errors and inaccuracies.
10. Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including PowerPoint; experience with HRIS and benefits databases.
11. Project and team management skills and experience.
12. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates.
13. Effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working to meet deadlines.
14. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and cultural humility.
1. Bachelor’s degree in HR, finance or related field, but experience and/or other training/certification may be substituted for the education.
2. Ability and flexibility to work in a distributed workforce.
3. The Payroll and HR Specialist must be a team player with a positive attitude.
4. The Payroll and HR Specialist must follow all applicable laws, HR principles and practices.
5. Must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
6. Must be and maintain clearance by the DCJS New York State Sex Offender Registry.
7. Must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
8. Must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
9. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Payroll and HR Specialist” as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.