The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join Our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a full-time Sr. Recovery Specialist at our Sterling Community Center in White Plains, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
Peer-professionally run and recovery-oriented, the Sterling Community Center (SCC) in White Plains offers an array of classes, volunteer work, evening and weekend social activities and one-on-one assistance for adults who have been diagnosed with behavioral health conditions. At SCC, New York State residents 18 years and older can find mutual support as they work toward personal goals by learning new skills, developing social networks, making connections in their larger communities, and developing opportunities for paid employment.
The Senior Recovery Specialist will act as a team leader for the Sterling Community Center Recovery Specialists. The Senior Recovery Specialist will organize and facilitate daily staff checks in, ensure proper coverage for SCC services, and assist program Coordinators with organization and execution of large events. The Senior Recovery Specialist is responsible for being a point of collaboration between the Recovery team and program management, including in the development of monthly service calendars and curriculum. The Senior Recovery Specialist is responsible for coordinating the SCC Peer Internship program and providing supervision for SCC Peer Interns.
The Senior Recovery Specialist is responsible for working with participants toward their recovery goals, both individually and in group settings in the Sterling Community Center in White Plains and the larger Westchester community. The Senior Recovery Specialist will support recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making, and collaboration. When possible, he/she will utilize evidence-based practices; always embracing a trauma-informed and person-centered approach.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide leadership, oversight, and support for SCC’s team of Recovery Specialists. The Senior Recovery Specialist will function as the team leader, and a liaison between the Recovery Team and program management, as needed. Includes organization and facilitation of daily staff check ins.
2. Provide individual support and collaborative record keeping for approximately 5-15 individual program participants requiring more intensive peer support, and 10-15 individuals requiring consistent outreach.
3. Direct participant contact, outreach, curriculum development, group facilitation, community oversight and crisis support as needed.
4. Provide oversight and supervision for SCC’s Peer Internship program, including developing and implementing a training curriculum.
5. Coordinate, oversee and assist in operating large scale SCC events including: Summer BBQ, Holiday Joy, Holiday Party, etc.
6. Organize SCC’s intake process including receipt of intakes, collaboration with referral providers, outreach to applicants, evaluation of materials and completion of intake paperwork.
7. The Senior Recovery Specialist needs to become aware of all relevant employment, educational, housing, entitlement and social supports in the community and proactively facilitate connection to these services with participants as needed.
8. May include one evening per week and occasional week-end day groups and/or activities as arranged with Supervisor.
9. Other related duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Prior knowledge and/or use of Trauma-Informed, Person-Centered Practice and Motivational Interviewing are a plus.
2. Knowledge of the Recovery process and the ability to facilitate recovery using established standardized mental health processes.
3. Knowledge and skill to teach and engage in basic problem-solving strategies to support individual clients in self-directed recovery.
4. Knowledge of the common challenges associated with mental health conditions
5. Familiarity with and ability to use an Electronic Health Record system.
1. The Senior Recovery Specialist must have at least 10 years of experience in human services either as a staff member or a recipient of mental health services.
2. The Senior Recovery Specialist must have strong leadership skills, and comfort in a leadership role.
3. The Senior Recovery Specialist must have at least 5 years of experience working in human services, peer work is strongly preferred.
4. Must be Certified as a Peer Specialist in NYS, full Certification strongly preferred.
5. Bachelor’s degree is preferred, specific work experience can be substituted as appropriate.
6. Lived experience of recovery from mental health and/or substance use conditions is highly valued.
7. Must possess strong organizational, writing skills and time management skills.
8. Must be able to work independently, including making decisions to respond to immediate programmatic needs.
9. Must also be flexible, respectful, creative and person-centered.
10. This position requires a thorough understanding of the process and possibility of robust recovery for people diagnosed with mental health conditions.
11. Intermediate Computer knowledge is required.
12. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
13. The Senior Recovery Specialist must have a valid Driver’s License and a driving record that is satisfactory to our insurance carrier.
14. The Senior Recovery Specialist must maintain current New York State Defensive Driving certification.
15. The Senior Recovery Specialist must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
16. The Senior Recovery Specialist must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
17. The Senior Recovery Specialist must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
18. The Senior Recovery Specialist must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with "Sr. Recovery Specialist" as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.