The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a Transportation Specialist (Driver) in our Sterling Community Center in White Plains, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
Peer-professionally run and recovery-oriented, the Sterling Community Center (SCC) in White Plains offers an array of classes, volunteer work, evening and weekend social activities and one-on-one assistance for adults who have been diagnosed with behavioral health conditions. At SCC, New York State residents 18 years and older can find mutual support as they work toward personal goals by learning new skills, developing social networks, making connections in their larger communities, and developing opportunities for paid employment. The Transportation Specialist is responsible for the provision of transportation services for individuals diagnosed with mental health conditions. In addition, the Transportation Specialist assists in maintenance and operations of the physical building and property at the Sterling Community Center (SCC). The Specialist will work with a person-centered, trauma informed philosophy in alignment with the values of MHA.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for driving participants to and from their homes and SCC.
2. Responsible for other transportation of SCC participants, including both regularly scheduled trips and others as needed.
3. Responsible for completing a daily driver vehicle report for each vehicle driven, a record of participants transported, and any other paperwork related to transportation at SCC
4. Responsible for overall safety while maintaining a courteous and professional manner when transporting participants in an agency vehicle.
5. Responsible for ensuring MHA COVID protocols are following during transportation.
6. Responsible for cleanliness and upkeep of assigned vehicles, including bringing vehicles in for maintenance
7. Responsible for daily coverage of SCC front desk during receptionist’s regular lunch break and occasional spot coverage as needed.
8. Completion of a variety of tasks related to maintenance and operations at SCC, including opening/closing responsibilities, oversight of garbage/recycling pickup, occasional cleaning/maintenance tasks, and assistance maintaining safety/cleanliness of the SCC property.
9. Attend regularly scheduled supervisory sessions, team meetings, and driver safety training meetings.
10. Other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Knowledge of primary and secondary road networks of the County.
2. Knowledge of traffic rules and regulations.
3. Ability to operate vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
4. Understanding of and willingness to ensure compliance with COVID protocols.
1. The Transportation Specialist must possess a high school diploma or GED.
2. The Transportation Specialist must have professional experience driving a 15 passenger van or other large vehicle.
3. The Transportation Specialist must have a valid Driver’s License and a driving record that is satisfactory to our insurance carrier.
4. The Transportation Specialist must maintain current New York State Defensive Driving certification.
5. The Transportation Specialist must have excellent interpersonal skills and a kind, caring approach to SCC participants.
6. Basic computer knowledge is required.
7. Lived experience of recovery from a mental health condition is a plus.
8. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
9. The Transportation Specialist must be cleared by the NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
10. The Transportation Specialist must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
11. The Certified Peer Specialist must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
12. The Transportation Specialist must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with “Transportation-Driver” as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.