The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve their goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work.
Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services. MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of individuals and families each year.
Join our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a full-time Vocational Counselor in our Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic (CCBHC) in White Plains, NY and surrounding communities. Base Annual Salary Range: $43,000 to $45,000.
SUMMARY of DUTIES:
Our Clinics offer individual, group, family and medication services for individuals of all ages and for a full range of behavioral health conditions. Our Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinic (CCBHC) Program delivers behavioral health services to adults and children who are uninsured, underinsured in need of services (including military, veterans and their family members) by improving access to evidence-based and recovery-oriented outpatient, crisis and mobile services. The Vocational Counselor in the CCBHC supports recovery through provision of comprehensive vocational and employment support. The Specialist connects clients with jobs that match their interests, abilities, and personal goals.
The Vocational Counselor is responsible for the provision of direct and indirect services to individuals with behavioral health conditions and other disabilities throughout stages of pre-vocational counseling, active job search and job maintenance. Responsible for engaging participants and establishes trusting, collaborative relationships directed toward the goal of competitive employment in community job settings. The Specialist will support vocational success by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaboration. When possible, the Vocational Counselor will utilize evidence-based practices; always embracing a trauma-informed and person-centered approach.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Carry a caseload and meet service provision expectations.
2. Pre-vocational Services: These are time-limited services that prepare an individual for paid or unpaid employment. This service specifically provides learning and work experiences where an individual can develop general, non-job-task-specific strengths and soft skills that that contribute to employability in competitive work environment as well as in the integrated community settings.
3. Placement Services: These services assist individuals in locating and securing open positions which match their employment factors; they may include resume development, interview coaching and introduction to various job search methods. support needs to obtain and keep competitive employment.
4. Job Coaching: The Vocational Counselor offers consistent job coaching on- or off-site depending on the individual’s preference. This may include assistance in requesting reasonable accommodations, active communication with an employer or other activities which promote job retention.
5. Administrative functions include maintenance of electronic records, service-specific reporting requirements and other related duties as requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
1. Preferred knowledge and experience working in behavioral health settings.
2. Demonstrated ability to teach and engage in basic problem-solving strategies to support individuals in goal-directed vocational activities.
3. Prior knowledge and/or use of Trauma-Informed, Person-Centered Practice and Motivational Interviewing.
4. Knowledge of the common challenges associated with mental health or other disabling conditions.
5. Varied and/or substantial work history, in-depth understanding of employer and employee expectations
6. Ability to master an electronic record system, meet deadlines and willingness to grow and change are critical.
7. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and cultural humility.
1. The Vocational Counselor must have a high school diploma or equivalent; plus, a minimum of two years of experience in providing employment-related services in behavioral health settings.
2. Basic computer knowledge is required.
3. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
4. The Vocational Counselor must have a valid Driver’s License and a driving record that is satisfactory to our insurance carrier.
5. If driving agency vehicles, the Vocational Counselor must maintain current New York State Defensive Driving certification.
6. Must be and maintain clearance through the NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
7. Must be and maintain clearance by the DCJS New York State Sex Offender Registry.
8. Must be and maintain clearance by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
9. Must be and maintain clearance by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
10. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Vocational Counselor" as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.