The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join our Team! We are hiring a Communications and Development Associate in our Development, Communications and Training department in Tarrytown, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
The Communications and Development Associate is responsible for creating content and providing integral support to advance the agency’s strategic vision. Key areas of responsibility include conceptualization, development and deployment of social media strategy and content; agency and program-specific marketing materials; internal/external newsletters and eblasts; and public relations and community engagement projects. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development and working with the Development Department, the Associate broadens MHA’s reach and elevates community awareness through creative and consistent communications.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develop and implement communications plan to support agency strategic initiatives.
2. Manage social media channels and create all digital content, including text, graphics, and video; monitor engagement and analytics to track trends and inform strategy.
3. Coordinate, write, design and disseminate materials such as:
a. External digital communications (e.g. e-blasts for community events and trainings; agency announcements; donor appeals)
b. Flyers and brochures (e.g. new services, updating materials, event promotion)
c. Internal communications (e.g. quarterly e-newsletter and weekly e-blast)
d. Impact Report (annual report)
e. Press releases and other marketing/engagement materials as needed
4. Carry out content changes on website in a timely fashion, in consultation with Development Department.
5. Assist with fundraising events, including preparation leading up to the event and day-of support/coordination.
6. Provide back-end support in the Learning Management System (CornerStone).
REQUIRED SKILLS and KNOWLEDGE
1. Excellent organizational and planning skills with strong attention to detail.
2. Experience managing social media channels and creating content to drive engagement.
3. A flair for creative, clear and concise communications.
4. Strong creative skills, with preferred experience in graphic design and video editing software (InDesign, Canva, etc.).
5. Experience with editing and/or building websites (Drupal, Wordpress, Wix, etc)
6. Experience with email platforms such as Robly
7. Comfort with learning new systems and technologies.
1. Bachelor's degree (concentration in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, media studies, or related fields preferred).
2. 1 – 3 years of related experience in communications/social media, preferably in a non-profit setting.
3. Mastery of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Teams.
4. Self-motivated with a positive and collaborative approach to work.
5. Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining flexibility when needed for specific deadlines.
6. Comfort and success in working both independently and as a member of a small team.
7. Must be able to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of client, staff and agency information.
8. Must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
9. Must be and maintain clearance by the DCJS New York State Sex Offender Registry.
10. Must be and maintain clearance by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
11. Must be and maintain clearance by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
12. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with "Communications Associate" as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.