The Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA) is a community-based not-for-profit committed to recovery-focused mental health services through advocacy, community education and direct services. We are recognized as the leader in Westchester in providing person-centered services that involve collaborating with each individual to achieve his or her goals.
MHA facilitates recovery by providing services that reflect our deeply held values that include the recognition of individual rights of self-determination, choice, shared decision-making and collaborative work. Our highly trained staff utilize evidence-based practices throughout our comprehensive array of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented services.
Through our robust services, as well as our advocacy programs and community events, MHA is able to meet the needs of thousands of men, women, children and families each year, helping them live independent lives in the community.
Join our Team! We have an exciting new opportunity for a Rehabilitation Counselor in our Apartment Treatment Program in White Plains, NY.
SUMMARY of DUTIES
MHA’s Apartment Treatment Program (ATP) is a site-based residential program which focuses on interventions necessary to address the specific functional and behavioral health issues that have prevented residents from accessing generic housing. These interventions are goal-oriented, intensive, and usually of limited duration. Resident/staff contacts occur on a flexible schedule, as appropriate to the needs and desires of the resident.The goal of the Rehabilitation Counselor is to attend to the day-to-day operations of MHA’s Licensed Apartment Treatment Program. Rehabilitation Counselor staff will provide one on one support to the residents of ATP; assisting with rehabilitation skills training, service/goal setting, independent living skills training, and overall care management and coordination.
SPECIFIC DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Carry a primary caseload maintaining all documentation requirements, ensuring that service plans/goals are measurable, attainable and based on the principles of psychiatric rehabilitation.
2. Responsible for daily day-to-day program operations and care including shopping, cooking, cleaning,, maintenance etc.
3. Ensure a safe, caring and professional environment for all program participants.
4. Provide teaching, education and support in the following rehabilitation skill areas:
i. Assertiveness/Self-Advocacy Training
ii. Community Integration Services/Resource Development
iii. Daily Living Skills Training
iv. Health Services
v. Medication Management And Training
vi. Parenting Training
vii. Rehabilitation Counseling
viii. Skill Development Services
x. Substance Abuse Services
xi. Symptom Management
5. Supervise and monitor participant’s medication regimen adhering to MHA’s medication policy.
6. Care Management for participants, ensuring that individuals obtain the entitlements they are eligible for and that all identified needs are met.
7. Participate in staff meetings, community meetings, program meetings and other program meetings as assigned.
8. Establish positive working relationships with other community agencies and services. Represents MHA in designated community meetings and committees.
9. Practice with a person-centered, trauma informed philosophy in alignment with the values of MHA.
10. Other designated or related duties.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
1. Strong interpersonal and communication skills including active listening and advocacy skills,
2. Attention to detail.
3. Good Time Management skills.
4. Communicating effectively in writing.
5. Familiarity with and ability to use an Electronic Health Record system.
6. Competency in the following areas:
CPR/ First Aid
Crisis Intervention and Response
Understanding of behavioral health issues
Knowledge of the Service Delivery System
Person Centered/Recovery oriented practices
Trauma Informed Care
1. The Rehabilitation Counselor must have at least a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Psychology, Human Services or related field with three years’ experience in Human Services.
2. Experience in the human service field, preferably mental health field and or rehabilitation.
3. Basic Computer knowledge is required.
4. Must be reliable and able to work independently and understand the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
5. Have and maintain a valid Driver’s License with a driving record that is satisfactory to our insurance carrier, have and maintain a Defensive Driving certification.
6. The Rehabilitation Counselor must be cleared NYS Justice Center through fingerprinting for a Criminal History Records search.
7. The Rehabilitation Counselor must be cleared by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and the New York State Medicaid Exclusion List.
8. The Rehabilitation Counselor must be cleared by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for instances of child abuse and/or neglect.
9. The Rehabilitation Counselor must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
MHA of Westchester is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to cultural competency, diversity, and inclusion and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by the applicable law.
To apply, please send your cover letter and résumé by e-mail to email@example.com with “Rehabilitation Counselor” as the subject line of the e-mail. Thank you.