Warning signs of suicide
You might start the conversation if you become aware of “warning signs” – indicators that someone is currently thinking of suicide. Significant losses in life, such as the loss of a relationship, job or health may trigger thoughts of suicide. While each situation is different, some warning signs include expressions of:
- A wish to die or explicit suicide intention expressed through words, music, drawings, writing, online postings, etc.
- Feelings of hopelessness, having no reason to live; no sense of purpose or meaning in life.
- Feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Sense of being a burden to others.
Other warning signs include actions such as:
- Identifying and/or obtaining means of suicide.
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs; increased risky behaviors.
- Displaying extreme mood swings; including rage.
- Changes in sleeping or eating.
- Withdrawing or isolating from usual activities and relationships.